Bartók World Competition of Liszt Ferenc Academy of Music Budapest announces a competition for string quartet composition according to the following guidelines:
· The works should give the members of a string quartet the opportunity to show both their musical and technical abilities, as well as their qualities as chamber musicians.
· Length of composition: from 6 to 8 minutes. One or more movements of a longer piece can be submitted as well if fitting to all other criteria. Entries lasting less than 5:40 minutes or longer than 8:20 will not be considered.
· The composition needs to be composed for the classical string quartet set-up: violin I, violin II, viola, violoncello
· The composition cannot include use of fixed audio media or any other instruments.
· Extended techniques are allowed that are used by Béla Bartók in his string quartets.
· No scordatura allowed.
The submitted work must be
· unpublished, unlisted
· without any prize at national or international composition competition,
· without any commercial recording,
· without public performance prior 28 November 2020.
Candidates: The competition is open to composers of all nationalities born on or after 1 September 1980.
One composer may submit several works each with separate submission.
Total prizes:10.000 EUR
The Jury will also select works for honorable mention. One piece will be selected into the repertoire of the Bartók World Competition – String Quartet competition in 2021 and will be published by Universal Music Publishing Editio Musica Budapest.
Details are available at web pages: