June 18-27, 2020, Paris, France
(“MANIFESTE-2020 Vocal Composition Workshop - Rebecca Saunders & Neue Vocalensemble Stuttgart” call is already open – other calls will open in the next weeks)
IRCAM's ManiFeste, the rendezvous for creation in Paris, welcome every year around 120 young composers and performers from the world over to take part in the academy, benefitting from a major artistic and technological setting as well as the presence of a large public audience for final performances. In addition, students and auditors can take part in a range of associated events.
During the academy ManiFeste-2020, guest composer Isabel Mundry and soloists from the Ensemble intercontemporain offer 6 young composers (under 32) a workshop dedicated to chamber music composition.
The space for compositional imagination and where contemporary music is performed are questions related to the phenomenon of listening. On one hand, music reacts to other music or acoustic experiences in keeping with one’s cultural heritage and experience. Inevitably, a new piece creates a constellation of listening experiences that can be understood within a larger context of one’s acoustic knowledge. On the other hand, music creates a unique perceptive situation positioned in both a specific time and place. Today, many composers consciously examine these questions while others experience their significance during performance.
The students in the ManiFeste-2020 Academy are invited to focus on the idea of “places of listening”, either in their compositional projects or during lectures, discussions, and rehearsals throughout the academy. Every composer is asked to choose two groups of instruments for which she or he will compose
Selected composers will first work closely with soloist from the Ensemble intercontemporain on Tuesday, June 18 and Friday, June 19. On Monday, June 21, they will “work on score” with guest composer Isabel Mundry. From Tuesday, June 22 to Friday, June 26, the group meets every day with soloists from the Ensemble intercontemporain and Isabel Mundry. Full participation is expected, including extended composition seminars and discussions.
The resultant compositions of 5-10 minutes will be presented and performed on Saturday, June 27.
Applicants must be born after January 1, 1988.
Composers cannot sign up for the composition workshops more than two years in a row. They can, however, follow the academy’s activities as an auditor as long as they would like.
Applicants must create an account (or use an existing account) on the ULYSSES platform, complete their profile, and click on “apply” on the “MANIFESTE-2020 Chamber Music Composition Workshop – Isabel Mundry & Ensemble intercontemporain soloists” call for applications page. They must:
- Fill out all personal information (name, sex, age, nationality, address, mobile phone number, valid ID, photo of the applicant’s face that can be used by IRCAM for access badges);
- Write a short biography (800 characters MAXIMUM) that can be used by IRCAM for concert programs;
- List their educational experience, professional experience, awards and scholarships;
- State their preference - which instruments they would like to compose for- although, for organisational reasons, should he/she be selected, a different grouping may be offered;
- Present 2 (or 3) recent works they composed (mp3 audio and score in pdf);
- All recommendation letters or documents deemed useful (pdf).
The platform will notify you of any incompleteness before the final submission. Applicants may save their application as a draft before the submission deadline.
Do not forget to finalize your application on clicking on SUBMIT button.
Do not forget to read carefully consent and release form at the end of the form before submitting your application.
The jury will be made up of the composer Isabel Mundry, 2 instrumentalists from the Ensemble intercontemporain, the director of IRCAM, Frank Madlener.
Registration fees: 250 €
The academy does not offer any scholarships or housing. Participants must find their own housing.
Selected composers must (under penalty of loss of student status):
- Commit to writing an original score with the following characteristics:
* for one of the grouping:clarinet, trumpet / flute, violin, cello / oboe, horn, viola
* duration circa 5 to 10 minutes – Please, note longer pieces may have to be excluded from this program;
- Pay all registration fees in full before Tuesday, January, the 11th, 2020;
- Send the pdf scores by email before Thursday, April, the 2nd, 2020.
Composers who do not send their scores before the deadline or do not respect the guidelines, or those who will be absent—even partially—during the workshop will be excluded from the workshop (the selected composers are expected to attend all sessions). In this case, registration fees will not be reimbursed.
IT IS THE APPLICANT'S RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE SHE/HE UNDERSTANDS AND MEETS THE WORKSHOP OR COURSE INFORMATION. ALL INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE ONLINE www.ircam.fr
For any request regarding the workshop or the application, please contact academy (at) ircam.fr
For technical assistance, please have a look to the help page or contact technical.assistance (at) ulysses-network.eu