June 20-July 2, 2022, Paris, France
ManiFeste, the IRCAM multidisciplinary festival and academy, is a gathering of creative artists in Paris, combining music with other disciplines: theater, dance, digital arts, and visual arts.This year, after the cancellation of the 2020 edition and the necessary adaptations due to sanitary restrictions for the 2021 edition, the IRCAM team wished to recapture the essence of the academy's spirit: emulation generated by the collective. The ManiFeste academy allows for discoveries, discussions, and exchanges among the active participants and listeners, guest artists and composers, and partners. More details on: www.ircam.fr
Ensemble intercontemporain – Conductor: Jean Deroyer
Educational Advisor: Misato Mochizuki (composer)
The Ensemble Intercontemporain is offering a workshop for eight young composers who will work closely with the ensemble, and with the counsel of composer Misato Mochizuki, to finalize their piece. Each of the eight composers will have to write for the same unusual group of ten musicians, proposing a theme of their choice linked to this condition (see below).
In January 2022, the selected composers will have a one-hour online meeting with the guest composer in order to present their composition project (a sketch is appreciated). The guest composer alongside the teams from IRCAM, and the Ensemble Intercontemporain will pay particular attention to the scores (conductor and separate parts) which will be returned on April 5, 2022 to ensure their compliance with the program and their feasibility. If necessary, requests for modifications will be made to the composers.
In June 2022, the workshop will begin with individual meetings with the guest composer, followed by a session of presentations and readings of the eight scores. The purpose of this first session is to encourage dialogue among the musicians, the conductor, the guest composer, and the eight young composers. Subsequently, each piece will benefit from a half-session of rehearsal, a practice session and a dress rehearsal before the public presentation of the eight pieces during a concert at the ManiFeste festival. The group of young composers will also benefit from a collective master class given by the guest composer in the middle of the week and a debriefing session after the final rehearsal.
The eight selected candidates must attend all rehearsals.
be born after January 1, 1990
not have taken part two other times in any other ManiFeste Academy workshop
be able to express themselves and understand English and/or French
Applications accepted as of Tuesday, October 5, 2021
Application deadline : Tuesday, November 16, 2021, 1pm CEST
Personalized responses sent by email: Wednesday, December 23, 2021
Applicants must create an account (or use an existing account) on the ULYSSES platform, complete their profile and click on "Apply" from the "MANIFESTE-2022 Ensemble Composition Workshop" call page, then:
• fill in personal information (last name, first name, age, nationality, address, cell phone number, legal ID, ID photo which may be used by IRCAM for access badges)
• write a short biography (800 characters MAXIMUM) which may be used by IRCAM for concert programs
• list their educational background, professional experience, awards and grants
• present 2 or 3 recent works of their own composition, at least one of which must be for a directed ensemble (mp3 audio and pdf score)
• write a letter of presentation of their composition project for the workshop (maximum 1 page) proposing a theme of their choice linked to this condition (see below).
Composers who do not respect the conditions defined by faculty (instrumentation, duration, graphical guidelines, deadlines for the submission of scores) or who are absent during the workshop, even partially, will have their participation automatically cancelled without possibility of appeal and without reimbursement of their registration fees.
Registration fees will be refunded if the academy is cancelled due measures in connection with COVID-19 restrictions. However, disruptions in transportation, health recommendations and quarantine, or testing requirements will be the responsibility of the applicant, who is responsible for making arrangements to meet the COVID-19 requirements both in his or her home country and upon arrival in France.
Registration fee: 300€
Registration fees due: Tuesday, January 25, 2022
Composers who hand in their scores after the indicated date, who do not respect the instrumentation and the graphical indications provided, or who are absent, even partially, during the workshop, will have their participation automatically cancelled without possibility of recourse.
The Academy does not provide any scholarships, nor rembourse travel or accommodation fees. Accepted applicants must find their own lodging.
The selected composers must, under penalty of cancellation of their participation :
- commit to writing an original score:
• of a duration of 5 to 8 minutes maximum
• for the following instrumentation :
1 flute, 1 oboe, 1 Bb clarinet (or E-flat clarinet, A clarinet, bass clarinet, contrabass clarinet, choose only 1 instrument), 1 bassoon, 1 F horn, 1 C trumpet, 1 trombone, 1 tuba, 1 harp, 1 piano
No requests for additional instruments (including doubles) or accessories will be accepted.
- participate in an individual videoconference with the guest composer in January 2022 to present and validate their score project
- pay their registration fees no later than Tuesday, January 25, 2022
- send their complete score (conductor and separate parts) respecting the graphic charter provided by email, no later than Tuesday, April 5, 2022, under penalty of cancellation of their participation in the academy
- make any changes to their score that may be requested by the teaching staff
For any question regarding the workshop, please write to academy @ ircam.fr
Help page for your application: https://www.ulysses-network.eu/help/